Saratoga PLAN is looking for a Communications Manager to provide strategic leadership for developing, overseeing and executing a comprehensive program to tell Saratoga PLAN’s story and connect community members to conservation in Saratoga County, New York. The communications manager initiates and implements communications and marketing messages through multiple media channels and formats, coordinating production communications products, and preparing materials and tools for public relations and events.
The communications manager serves as the point person to plan and develop strategies and plans designed to attract target markets. As PLAN’s “roving reporter” and primary voice, the communications manager oversees PLAN’s brand and message and tells PLAN’s story in a variety of venues and through a variety of media, to educate, inspire, cultivate and move supporters to action.
The communications manager builds, coordinates, and motivates a collaborative team of staff, contractors, interns, partners, and volunteers to attract content and assistance for communications. The position reports to the associate director of development and meets or exceeds specific goals, or metrics, for social media followers, number of new and retained donors, and volunteers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts research to identify and define PLAN’s constituents and to clearly describe effective communications and outreach strategies for them.
- Understands a variety of external perspectives and audiences and seeks ways to connect those audiences in a positive way to the land or to leave a positive impression.
- Educates staff, board and volunteers about target market needs and interests and adapts programs, services, messages and strategies to be relevant and resonant with new and current constituencies and to foster engagement.
- Designs, implements, and evaluates direct contact, engagement events and participatory education and outreach activities to achieve strategic goals.
Branding and Communications (60%)
- Develops a unique, lighthearted yet serious, respected voice for Saratoga PLAN.
- Prepares the majority of PLAN’s written communications, presentations, website, signage, e-news, social media messages, photo and video imagery.
- Oversees, refreshes or creates PLAN’s brand, story, and message to resonate with community members and target markets.
- Creates, oversees, and analyzes social media for positive, ubiquitous connection and engagement, emphasizing two-way dialogue and participatory activities.
- Produces effective communications prior to, during, and after events, activities, and projects.
Public Relations (5%)
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with media for regular and prominent media coverage (print, tv, radio, internet) placement.
- Promotes and maintains a positive image in Saratoga County and its municipalities and with private sector partners.
- Fully supports executive director, associate director, board of directors for their communications needs as organizational ambassadors.
- Identifies, solicits and manages grants and donations designated for communications and marketing.
- Assists and interfaces with consultants to trouble shoot and manage office information technology systems for communications (such as website).
- Recruits and supervises interns and volunteers.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Proven ability to design and implement a creative program that attracts and engages specific audiences, ideally in land conservation.
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, cheerful, outgoing, creative, entrepreneurial individual who can work both independently and in a team, with the ability to establish and maintain positive collaborative working relationships with others, both internally and externally, and influence others to take action.
- Ability to influence support and enlist assistance to develop and implement strategic communications priorities.
- High level of productivity, able to set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress, and manage projects and resources, making adjustments as needed, to achieve results “on time and on budget.”
- Listen, speak, and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Proven ability to recruit, train, lead, coordinate, and work effectively with others in a small team environment and within communities to develop strategies, set goals, resolve problems, make decisions, and implement plans and programs that are in the best interest of the organization and conservation.
- Tech-savvy, proficient with and knowledgeable about Microsoft software applications, Adobe Photoshop, constituent database software (Salesforce), website maintenance, social media platforms, videography, photography, general IT.
- Knowledge of natural history, agriculture, and the landscape and communities of Saratoga County (desirable).
- Familiarity with not-for-profit land trust organization with two years’ experience in land conservation.
- Bachelors (required) or Masters (desired) degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing, nonprofit management, or similar relevant field.
- Ability to demonstrate ethical behaviors consistent with policies and values of Saratoga PLAN and the Land Trust Alliance.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Will spend significant time in a typical small office setting with minimal privacy.
- Will work outside of office, in community with diverse people and groups
- Requires ability to participate in field trips involving hiking, snowshoeing, kayaking/canoeing, cross-country skiing.
- Requires some evening and weekend work.
- Need to lift and carry tables and exhibit display materials.
- Reliable transportation that can be used for work, primarily within Saratoga County.
- Adequate space and internet service for remote work, when and if desired.
The position is full-time (40 hours minimum) and will occasionally require additional hours or flexible hours as mutually agreed and is eligible for health and dental insurance and retirement benefits. Salary in the 50s, commensurate with selected candidate’s experience. Saratoga PLAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume electronically by June 17, 2022 to:
Robert Davies, Executive Director
112 Spring Street, Room 202
Saratoga Springs, New York 12866