Photo: Dawn Szurek
This position will be a key staff person on Saratoga PLAN’s team for accomplishing its mission, with primary duties including strategic implementation of Saratoga PLAN’s conservation plan; management of land transactions and supervision of other land protection staff and interns; consulting with landowners on conservation options and tools; grantwriting; project budgeting and tracking; and contracting with vendors for transaction services such as surveys, appraisals, title insurance, legal counsel, and environmental site assessments.
This role is a good fit for you if:
- You are passionate and expressive about the essential role conservation plays in your life.
- You are solution oriented and love problem solving.
- You are flexible and comfortable collaborating with multiple partners to accomplish conservation through various means.
- You are highly organized and able to keep many balls in the air while maintaining meticulous records.
Guided by the Conservation Plan and Business Blueprint, the Land Project Manager works closely with the Executive Director, staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, donors, interns, and community partners to advance:
- Identify and evaluate new high priority conservation opportunities and consult with landowners, municipalities and other organizations regarding conservation options for natural areas, farms, and trails.
- Structure and oversee land conservation and trail projects including mapping and analysis, negotiating terms of easements, acquisitions and partnerships, complete pre-acquisition due diligence, including contractual services by surveyors, appraisers, attorneys, title companies, and environmental inspectors.
- Consult with landowners on conservation options for their properties.
- Present conservation information in written formats and in-person or virtual workshops.
- Supervise other land protection staff members and interns.
- Develop and implement annual program work plan and budget. Track and report on land conservation initiatives, projects, and budgets.
- Serve on Conservation Program Committee and Conservation Colleagues committees.
- Transfer property information to stewardship staff as projects advance toward closing.
- Present projects to Board of Directors to secure authorization to proceed with highly ranked projects.
- Prepare grant applications and manage funds awarded for conservation projects.
- Play a supporting role in donor relations and community engagement programs, including providing content for external communications about land projects.
- Minimum of 2.5 years’ successful experience in real estate transactions for undeveloped land and conservation easements.
- Relevant natural resource non-profit or conservation experience, including managing internal and external collaborative projects, programs, and staff teams.
- Experience with grant writing and grants management, preferably familiar with private foundations and government conservation funding programs.
- Undergraduate degree in related field (conservation, environment, natural resources management, ecology, land planning, etc.). Advanced degree preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated experience and successful track record in land conservation project development and completion.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing strategic plans, programs, systems, policies, and record-keeping.
- Strong skills in project planning, financing, implementation, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to assess conservation values of a property.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to develop and maintain diplomatic relationships with various constituencies and to work both as a team player and independently.
- Ability to use GIS and GPS to display and analyze spatial information.
- Proficiency with a variety of software including Microsoft Office online suite of products.
- Ability to demonstrate ethical behaviors consistent with policies and values of Saratoga PLAN and the Land Trust Alliance, and adherence to land trust standards and practices.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as hiking in steep terrain as well as long hours at a computer.
PLAN has a highly motivated, small and growing team. We’re looking for someone who is flexible and is willing to fill in the gaps sometimes as needed. Job responsibilities, workload, and hours may vary. This position reports to and at times works closely with the Executive Director. This is a full-time position with a minimum of 40 hours per week, and occasionally requires weekend and evening work. The salary range is in the 70s. Health, dental, vacation, holiday, and retirement benefits offered.
About Saratoga PLAN
Saratoga PLAN (preserving land and nature) is an established, accredited nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to preserving the rural character, natural habitats, and scenic beauty of the Saratoga County region so that these irreplaceable assets are accessible to all and survive for future generations. The lands that Saratoga PLAN conserves are ancestral homelands of the Mohican, Mohawk and Abenaki people.
PLAN is respected as an effective, credible and trusted organization which helps landowners, communities and partners accomplish their conservation goals for farmland, wildlife habitats, water resources, and trail systems through land protection and community planning. Saratoga PLAN helps communities create plans that balance growth with conservation to sustain the Saratoga region’s “quality of place” and its environment, economy, and public health, ensuring that the county remains a great place to live, work, visit, and farm. To learn more, visit www.saratogaplan.org.
Saratoga PLAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Applications: Resumes and cover letters can be submitted to email@example.com. Position will be filled when the right candidate is found.